The Carrie Furnaces were built in 1881 as part of U.S. Steel’s Homestead Works, a sprawling 400-acre complex that spanned both sides of the Monogahela river. They produced up to 1,250 tons of steel a day until 1978 when they were closed.
While the majority of the site was razed for developments that never materialized (and a shopping center that did), the 100-foot high furnaces still stand; now they are an extremely rare example of pre-WWII ironmaking technology. The furnaces were designated as a national historic landmark in 2006 and preservation efforts are underway.
For more information about the Carrie Furnaces and tours of the site, please visit the Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area website at www.riversofsteel.com.